Sunday, February 26, 2012

Comfort

We've been a little stressed out the last week with extra work, taxes, big purchases, etc. I woke up this morning to my fiance worried about a mysterious charge on his bank account. The stress was visible in the wringing of his hands. There wasn't much I could do to help, but I thought maybe making one of his favorite breakfast dishes would bring a little comfort.

I'm not much of a biscuits and gravy fan myself. I usually find it pretty bland and greasy. Now, my fiance hasn't had biscuits and gravy since the Engine 2 28-day challenge because even the vegan versions we've had out seem oily and salty. So, I challenged myself to make a healthier version (it's not Engine 2 approved though because I did use a little olive oil and a salty faux sausage) that even I would like. Thanks to Punk Rock Kitchen's Vegan with Vengeance cookbook for the inspiration.


Michelle's Healthier Biscuits and Gravy
3-4 servings

1 can no salt added cannellini beans (can't find no salt? just rinse the beans to cut the salt in half)
1 Tbs olive oil
1 c low sodium vegetable broth
1/2 yellow onion
2 cups frozen veggies (peas and carrots are a good combo)
2 links of veggie sausage (I had tofurky beer brats, so that's what I used.)
2 tsp sage
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp garlic
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp basil
2 tsp oregano
1 pkg Ezekiel 7-grain english muffins (usually in the freezer section)
parsley if you have it

Blend the rinsed beans, olive oil and 1/4 c veggie broth until smooth. In a pan, add diced onions and let brown and then add veggie sausage. Use the extra veggie broth in small doses to saute the onions and sausage by loosening the browned goodness from the bottom of the pan. Add in the blended bean mixture and spices. Adjust spices to your tastes. If you are using italian sausage, you may not want to add the basil, oregano, garlic and red pepper flakes. It's your call! Add in frozen veggies and if you want a thinner gravy a little more veggie broth. Heat on stove top. If the english muffins were frozen, heat for 30 seconds in microwave, flip and heat another 30 seconds before adding them to the toaster. I toasted them whole because my toaster could and I wanted them like biscuits out of the oven.  Serve and enjoy.


Did the biscuits and gravy melt away all the stress and worry? No, but they were a tasty, healthy breakfast break.

Now it's off to the gym in honor of my 28-day 30 minutes a day workout challenge. Have a good weekend.

To all of our health!
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment