Thursday, October 4, 2012

Aw, Pumpkin

Don't tell my fiance, but I have had a lifelong serious crush on ... pumpkin.

No, I don't have strange boundary issues and a ridiculous pet name that would have me revealing an affair on my food blog. My crush is on pumpkin itself and stops at liking to consume it in a myriad of forms. Okay, and carve it, but that's where I draw the line.



For the last couple years, I've carved a jack o' lantern for two reasons: 1) it's something artistic and fun to do and 2) I have a reason to make toasted pumpkin seeds. Simply Recipes' Roasted Pumpkin Seeds clued me in to the secret: boiling the seeds in salted water before toasting! Salt and pepper is my favorite, but it's fun to play with other spice combos like chili pepper and lime juice or pumpkin spice.


Pumpkin spiced things have that warm cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger combination that harmonizes with the sweet richness of the pumpkin itself. So good.

Alas, I thought pumpkin in the form of pumpkin spiced lattes and I were going to have to divorce because the Starbucks version has some sneaky dairy in it; however, per the usual, some savvy vegan swooped in and saved the day with this vegan pumpkin spiced latte recipe.


Lastly, Isa Chandra Moskowitz once again knocks my socks off with her pumpkin cheesecake with pecan crunch topping.

www.veganmofo.com


1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to make that cheesecake. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete