Friday, January 6, 2012

Meat Eater Holidays

With the holidays approaching, I knew there was no way I would be able to pass up the holiday meals with all the fixings that are such a major part of my family's celebration (not to mention, the even better day after sandwiches.) Well, I did (at Thanksgiving.) I mean I actually didn't have to because there are a lot of ways to make those beloved dishes vegan. Stuffing just needs veggie broth and margarine (check the stuffing mix ingredient list). Mashed potatoes will fool folks with earth balance spread, tofutti sour cream or some veggie broth. Now, the turkey you might think there's no getting around. Well, actually I passed up the meat because I had a tasty alternative that didn't leave me thinking I was missing out.


Tofurky offers a celebration roast dinner that contains a tofurky with wild rice stuffing, gravy and a chocolate cake. You marinade the tofurky like you would brine a turkey and then roast it in the oven (with some lovely potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, etc.) It's even good the next day on a sandwich with veganaise, pickles and onions. With the holidays behind us, many grocers are trying to move these holiday dinners out the store (aka SALE) so stock up and don't worry about waiting until a holiday to cook up a special dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment