Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sweet 'Nana

One thing I gave up when going back on the Engine 2 challenge was the apple fritter from my local coffee shop. What can I say? I love sugary sweet. I also know it's not good for me and I need alternatives. On the challenge, I've returned to my standard puffed millet and uncle sam's toasted cereal for breakfast, but by the end of the day I'm craving something sweet. The solution? Frozen banana soft serve!


This is going to become a hot weather staple for you, I promise! You can either use new bananas or ones that have browned past their prime. Peel the bananas, break them in thirds and put them in a bag ( I like to make sure they are in a single layer and push out the extra air before sealing to make it easier to remove the frozen bananas.) If you have frozen bananas in the peels, you can use them...they're just harder to peel when frozen. I put them in the microwave for 5 seconds and use a paring knife to get the peel started.



Michelle's Favorite Frozen Banana Soft Serve Recipe

1 - 1 1/2 frozen bananas
2 T milk alternative
1-2 t vanilla extract (optional)
2 T peanut butter (optional)
2 t chocolate extract (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pulsing or stirring can help break down last remaining frozen banana chunks for a soft serve texture.

You should have fun with this recipe. What is your favorite flavor combo with banana? Add some cocoa powder or chocolate chips...maybe even some oreos? Go the tropical route and add in strawberries or coconut. You could even substitute your favorite liquor for the milk alternative...kahlua or coconut rum and banana soft serve? Have fun with it and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment