Saturday, April 7, 2012

Iron Range Dispatch: Chick'n Scallopini Piccata

I'm up North to visit my family for the Easter holiday. I'd usually pack some groceries because there seems to be less vegan options at the grocery stores here. However, I got up at 6:30am itching to get on the road and thought I could make do with what I found. After all, I've been on a road trip for two days where most of my meals were hummus and pita or veggies. Imagine my surprise (and delight) when the Target in Virginia, MN carried Gardein products (and they were on sale!) Gardein contains oil, so they're not Engine 2 approved, but hey it's a holiday weekend.

Gardein Chick'n Scallopini Piccata

We made the Chick'n Scallopini Piccata recipe on Gardein's website which features lemon, capers, white wine, unchicken broth and earth balance margarine. My parents had some brown rice in the refrigerator so we sauteed carrots, onions and celery and made a quick pilaf seasoned with a little soy sauce. The Gardein Chicken Scallopini come pre-seasoned and take only 6 minutes to heat up. We found all the ingredients for this meal at the local Target and Natural Harvest Co-op. My mom wanted to know how they compare to chicken, so here's the stats:

That's right, people. When you compare equal serving sizes the vegan chick'n has MORE protein and less than half the fat than chicken. I was hungry and the scallopini piccata was so good I had 2 pieces (about 4.5 oz), but most days 1 piece with sides would totally be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment