Sunday, April 8, 2012

Hop to it! Easter Brunch


We went a slightly different route for our holiday meal than the plant-based recipes I featured a couple days ago. Our family decided to do Easter Brunch and my mom had scoured the internet in search of healthy vegan options. The menu was hers with the exception of the grilled asparagus and strawberry rhubarb crisp. She was Captain of the SS Brunch and ran a tight ship. Near noon, the kitchen was frantic with final preparations. I think I may have been told to hop to it a few times. In the end, it was a success and good times with the family.

Baked wonton wrappers filled with fruit salad

A few years ago, my mom and I took a brunch cooking class at Cooks of Crocus Hill where we learned to make a lime dressing for fruit and serve it in fried wonton wrapper. To make it lighter, we baked the wrappers in muffin tins. 
Blueberry Lemon Muffins and Apple Cinnamon (made with whole wheat flour and no oil)
 I made some modest tweaks on the muffins to sub in whole wheat flour and homemade applesauce for the oil in the blueberry muffins and for some of the apple juice in the apple cinnamon muffins.  These recipes need some tweaking in my opinion. The apple cinnamon muffins had a slight baking powder taste.

Hummus and Grilled Veggie Tart
 To save time, my mom used a pilsbury classic pizza crust and roasted the veggies without oil.

Deviled Roma Tomatoes with curried chickpea filling
 Deviled eggs are a staple of holiday dinners with my family, so Nava Atlas's deviled tomatoes were a great alternative. They were very elegant looking and tasted great. On suggestion of a reviewer of the recipe, I doubled the spices, but several in my family thought there was too much curry, so follow the recipe :)
Add some roasted asparagus and you've got a tasty brunch!
There were a couple non-plant-based brunch offerings on the table, but as you can see from the photo of my plate I was definitely not going without. In fact, I was stuffed! But what would a holiday meal be without dessert? So, we also made strawberry rhubarb crisp (using fresh rhubarb from my mom's garden!)

Super tasty and would be great with a non-dairy ice cream because
the sauce is lick your plate good (just ask my Grandma)

No comments:

Post a Comment