Sunday, October 29, 2017

#PumpkinSpiceEverything

The moment I felt a cool breeze in September I was struck with the excitement and anticipation of one of my favorite aspects of Fall: pumpkin spice. Two years ago on a drive to my parents' house, I listened as a guest on public radio claimed the death of pumpkin and the rise of the other gourds. I found myself banging my hand on the steering wheel and condemning this sacrilege. True story. Maybe you're not that kind of fan (or maybe you are), but if you like pumpkin spice you'll like this post (don't worry, there's love for the other gourds too.)

My guide to hosting a #PumpkinSpiceEverything brunch:

1) Invite a crowd of pumpkin spice enthusiasts

I put out the 30 day notice to a group of friends: #PumpkinSpiceEverything brunch was happening. I reminded them how serious I was by sharing this, and suggesting the non-enthusiasts may want to sit this one out:


Also, make sure you accommodate your guests' dietary needs. Seems like this might be obvious for plant-based eaters with their own dietary restrictions, but I have friends who are gluten-free and soy-free so my menu reflects that. I find the easiest way to do this is by serving choose-your-own-adventure menus (ex. baked potato bar, make your own pizza, or for this brunch a crostini and waffle bar.

2) Gather Pumpkin Spice products EARLY

I started to gather the amenities the moment I saw them (they saturate the market in September, but the best options may be gone by mid-October.) I purchased Daiya's seasonal pumpkin spice cheesecake and Almond Dream pumpkin spice almond milk. I missed out on Califia Farm's pumpkin spice latte this season (buy it early, folks!)

3) Prep what you can in advance

I'd add to that: decide what you'll make and what you'll buy pre-made. Case in point: I had the pumpkin in my cart at Trader Joe's trying to rationalize how I could make time in my busy week to prep it because I love pumpkin seeds in the shell, and then there on an aisle cap was a big bag of pumpkin seeds in the shell ready to eat...an hour's work and mess avoided. On the other hand, a specialty shop had a $8 jar of spicy pumpkin butter, and you can make your own in 20 minutes with a can of pumpkin puree and spices (recipe below.) For the menu below, I started prepping 3 days in advance.

4) Have fun and enlist help

If you want to make all these dishes for one party, you're going to need at least 2 extra set of hands (or an award for being super human.) Also, cut the menu back, turn it into a special meal for your household. Just have fun, or what's the point?

Now, the piece de resistance: the #PumpkinSpiceEverything Brunch waffles:

Pumpkin Spice Waffles with Savory or Sweet Toppings

Isa Chandra Moskowitz is my vegan recipe guru, and the waffle recipe is hers. I made it gluten-free by using Arrowhead Mills gluten-free all purpose flour blend (I needed to use more of the gluten free flour to achieve the right consistency.)


Savory Topping: Spicy Pumpkin Butter with Kale, Mushroom, Sausage, and Squash Hash

Spicy Pumpkin Butter
adapted from this Minimalist Baker recipe. This is the first thing I made, and I used it in the pumpkin spice nice cream recipe below.

30 oz Pumpkin puree (2 - 15 oz cans)
1 T lemon juice
1/4 c maple syrup
2 T pumpkin spice
2 t ancho chili powder
1/2 t cayenne powder
crushed red pepper (as you see fit .5 - 1t)

In a small pot over medium heat, add all ingredients (I added the chili half way through the cooking.) Cook at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally and reduce heat to keep it at a simmering bubble. Stores in the fridge for 2 weeks.

Hash
makes 4 servings as a meal (or 10-12 toppings for waffles)

1 large onion
1 pkg cremini mushrooms (8 oz)
1 large bunch kale (I used lacinato/dinosaur)
1 pkg Gimme Lean sausage (contains soy)
1 1/2 c squash (small dice, I used red kuri)
3 cloves of  garlic
black pepper
salt
olive oil
dash of chili powder or crushed red pepper (I used ancho)

Dice all your vegetables and keep them separate. Keep a medium size mixing bowl nearby. Heat your pan to medium-high (cast iron is best) with a little olive oil. Add the onions. When they get translucent (1-2 mins), add in the mushrooms and garlic with a pinch of salt and brown. The trick to the tasty carmelization is to not crowd the pan and cook off the liquid the onions and mushrooms release (salt helps draw it out.) Empty the mixture into the mixing bowl.  Apply more oil and grind some black pepper into the oil and give it 15-30 seconds to "bloom" before crumbling in the gimme lean sausage. While the sausage browns, keep breaking down the crumbles so the size is consistent with your veggies. When cooked, add to the mixing bowl. Apply more oil to the pan and add the squash and chili powder (after 2 mins), add in the kale and let it cook down for 5 or so minutes, make sure to stir and you can add some water and cover to steam if you like it well-cooked. Add in the contents of the mixing bowl and combine.

Toppings
1/4 c pepitas (pumpkin seed without the shell)
1 fruit - pomegranate arils (seeds)

Cook waffles* per Isa's recipe. Slather on some spicy pumpkin butter, a heaping helping of hash, and sprinkle toppings on as you see fit. Enjoy!

* I had to borrow a waffle maker from a friend. If you don't have one, turn it into a pancake party!



Sweet Topping: Pumpkin Spice Nice Cream, Coconut Whip Cream and Toasted Pecans (my favorite!)

Pumpkin Spice Nice Cream
adapted from the Feasting on Fruit recipe

1-1.5 c spicy pumpkin butter (see above, about half of the recipe)
4-6 frozen bananas broken into chunks
1/4 c vanilla unsweetened non-dairy milk

Blend all of the above in a food processor or vitamix blender until smooth like soft serve. Serve immediately or store in the freezer for up to a week. Must thaw 5-15 minutes before being scoopable out of the freezer.

Toppings
1 pkg So Delicious coconut whip cream (I used lite)
1/4 c pecans (Toast in a dry cast iron pan on low-medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring. They'll smell amazing when done.)


Stay tuned for the rest of the brunch menu! Here's a teaser:



3 comments:

  1. This looks like an amazing feast! I'm so jealous of all the pumpkin spice things you get over there, it's just not a thing here in the UK :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive brunch; the waffles sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This look like yumm. Thanks for sharing this great blog with us. https://leangreendad.com/

    ReplyDelete