Sunday, October 1, 2017

Pasta, again?

I admit I get excited when the vegan option is pasta with veggies (extra credit for a decent marinara sauce.) I mean I've had worse: steamed, unseasoned frozen veggies take the cake. And, I NEVER get hummus at a restaurant if I have a choice. It's the cliche choice for the plant eaters. I mean really, which one is more common: a black bean burger or hummus? Not to mention, half the time the burger is not actually vegan or vegetarian.

So, back to the pasta....it's a pretty decent option though light on protein and high on carbs. It's also probably a staple at home recipe for a lot of people. So, how can we change it up, amp up the protein and make it special?

1) Replace the noodles.
Cutting carbs is usually a good thing, but how do you do it without feeling like you're losing out? Baby steps and find what works for you! Eating traditional pasta today? Maybe try whole wheat or a lentil or quinoa pasta first. Two of my favorites: GoGo Quinoa Macaroni and Tolerant lentil pasta.


The quinoa pasta cooks fast and can get soft and break down in wet sauces/soups, so it's best for a dry pasta dish or pasta salad. I prefer the rotini shaped lentil pasta which holds up well to hot sauces, and doesn't have too al dente of a texture (like the lentil penne can have.)

Just play around with different kinds until you find what works. Some other options I've tried: Banza chickpea shells, Tolerant black bean penne, organic edamame pasta, and  House Foods tofu shirataki noodles.)

2) Pack protein in the sauce.
Tofu or nut-based cream sauces cut fat and cholesterol from traditional alfredo sauces, and pack a lot of protein compared to a marinara or pesto sauce.

Love the marinara? No problem. Add beans (kidney or cannellini are my favorites) or a faux meat (Gardein meatless meatballs are the best!)  Or, make your own cheesy topping of nutritional yeast and nuts to sprinkle on top.


3) Make it special.
So, the noodles or sauce are covering the protein, now what can you do to make your pasta dish special? Play with the sauce: 1) mix some pesto or fresh herbs with your marinara or alfredo, 2) mix the alfredo and marinara, 3) make it spicy with crushed red pepper, or 4) skip the sauce with a light splash of good olive oil or melted earth balance and lemon juice/zest.

Challenge yourself to add more veggies. I've found adding kale (or spinach if greens are not really your thing) is a great way to increase my veggie intake ... oh, and peppers, onions, carrots, eggplant, you name it! Keep some frozen veggies on hand so it's super easy to add them in. You can even turn the vegetables into noodles. Check out this recipe for zucchini noodles with pumpkin seed pesto and peaches for a refreshing treat:



What's your pet peeve veg dish?

1 comment:

  1. You have some great twists on the boring pasta dish! I'm never that impressed when I see pasta and veg on the menu, as I resent paying for something that I could easily throw together at home. Risotto is my biggest pet peeve though, I discount it the minute I see it on a menu. It's just so boring!

    ReplyDelete