Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Spicy Date Night

Sorry, if you were looking for a harlequin romance style blog post you're out of luck. If you're looking for a sincere love for my fiance and his great idea that we go out and have a proper date night meal before I leave for a 3 day work retreat in the Ozarks, read on.

Tonight I had my last regularly scheduled sand volleyball game before the tournaments. Since my team has only won twice, I'm thinking this means our season is all but done. I've had a lot of fun playing on a team where I met new people, and wanted to share the wonder that is the recreational center in Roseville with my fiance. He kindly came to our game in the steamy 95+ degree heat and took me out for dinner afterward. I think it's important to find quality time like this, especially if you're going to be apart for awhile, to just hang out and appreciate one another (it didn't hurt that he paid! :) )

We went to Little Szechuan, and I cannot say enough how much I love this place. Even with construction literally up to their front door, they put out super tasty high quality food. The light rail construction has moved across the street recently making it a lot easier to get to the restaurant. My favorite is the Spicy Szechuan Tofu which I request with added vegetables (bell peppers and broccoli):


The dishes at Little Szechuan are family style, so if you go with multiple people you may just want to get the tofu with the accent veggies; however, I find if you ask to add more veggies it turns it into a great entree.One of the great things about this dish is that the spicy isn't just hot. I get medium and have thought about upping that to hot because the predominate flavor I take from the szechuan peppers is slightly floral or citrusy taste that is SO GOOD.

The other crazy good dish there is the green beans:

It's a pretty simple dish with garlic, scallions, ginger, chilis, soy sauce. The trick is to stir fry the green beans for 6-7 minutes until starting to pucker and brown. Remove and add in the spices and add the beans back in to finish off.

As much as I loved the food, I loved the company even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment